Carss Bush Park offers a wide variety of recreational facilities and services. These include the Carss Park Café and Grill, the Kogarah War Memorial Olympic Swimming Pool, sports fields, bushland, playground areas, sand pits, flying foxes, bike tracks, picnic and BBQ facilities, an intertidal swimming area, a Life Savers building, internal car parks, a stage area and other amenities and infrastructure.
The area now known as Carss Bush Park was originally part of Jonathon Croft’s 54 hectares of land that was purchased from the Crown in 1854. The land changed hands several times before it was purchased by William Carss, a cabinetmaker from Scotland, in 1863. The lot comprised 54 hectares (120 acres) of undeveloped bushland and wetlands with stands of mangroves. William Carss chose to construct his house on the point in Carss Bush Park, which today is known as Carss Cottage. William Carss died in 1878 and the land remained in his family until 1916 when it was left to the Sydney Sailors.